Saturday, August 13, 2011

Tortilla Soup

So there's alot that's happened in the last 24 hours and obviously I'm slow going on getting back on the blogging horse. Right now though I have a new recipe I made up this week that was a total win.


I usually have 2 goals when I'm cooking. Healthy and cheap or. My husband and I have a renewed determination to get debt paid down so I've been trying to make groceries last as long as possible and make as many pantry meals as possible. Also Wednesdays are crock pot days because I either don't make it home before church or have 30 minutes to inhale some dinner before heading out. So here I got


Tortilla Soup


1 bag frozen corn

1 medium onion diced

juice of 1 lime

~2 tsp fresh cilantro

1 can of garbanzo beans

1 jar of salsa (I had Trader Joe's tomatillo salsa)

1 32 ounce container vegetable broth

1 can diced chili's

half a package taco seasoning (again Trader Joe's-a little spicier than other brands I've used)

4-5 corn tortillas


Combine everything in your crock pot and cook on low for 8 hours. at the end slice the tortillas in strips and season with a little salt and cayenne pepper and place on a cookie sheet in a 400 degree oven till crispy (about 10-15 minutes). dish up the soup, garnish with the tortilla strips and enjoy!


This had just the right amount of spice and had a good amount of broth, not too thick. my husband loved it, he even had some for leftovers and that doesn't always happen.


Pantry meal for the win!


1 comment:

  1. Yay! I think I have all of that on hand. Sound yummy.

    ReplyDelete