Friday, July 3, 2015

Let's Get Organized!

(A mom I used to work for used to sing a little diddy Let's get organized to the tune of Olivia Newton John's Let's Get Physical, it always made me giggle)
Some goodies from around my apartment, things that are intentional, aesthetically pleasing and good reminders. I need more of this kind of  decorating in my home
About a year ago God prompted me to purge. I've tried to be obedient in that area but it's been a slow process to say the least. I'm a pack rat by nature and sentimental to boot so I thought emotionally it would be difficult. Surprisingly enough the emotional part hasn't been the hard part. Which I guess just goes to show that really was a prompting from God, because he will equip you for anything he guides you to. God is God of peace and order (1 Corinthians 14:33) and I need to take that to heart more. 

I've noticed especially lately that as work is busier and internally things are chaotic the more and more my home becomes chaotic. This needs to stop. 

Over the last few weeks we have kicked the purging into high gear. Currently half our living room is piled high with stuff for a garage sale we're having tomorrow. We've gone through so much and gotten rid of so much but the more I look around the more just clutter I see.

I see other peoples homes that are pretty clutter free and I ask myself, how do they do it? Part of the problem is both my husband and I are collectors. we've been trying to be more intentional with what we collect and what we bring into our home, but that doesn't account for the stuff we already have.

So physically, time wise up to this point it's been a slow process but now I'm ready for my home to be more organized, intentional. 

I've come across a few resources that I'm sure many of you have heard of but are new to me:

The Fly Lady  this is for cleaning/organizing. I've heard of her before but that's about the extent, I found her via Instagram through another blogger that I'll talk about. I haven't looked too much but she has easy tips for breaking your home into zones to not get overwhelmed, I think this will help me alot. 

Jen Plans I found her through Instagram as well and hers is all about organizing your life over all; finances, health, home, family. She uses an Erin Condren Life Planner primarily. I got one of these for Christmas and have been using it this year and loving it, but after finding Jen I know I could be utilizing it so much more then I am. I am a very visual person so being able to see all parts of my life written out and when things need to get done helps me alot. Part of my life being so busy is usually a good thing for me because I'm a procrastinator. If I only have a certain time to get something done I usually do IF I have a plan. A big part of why nothing has been getting done lately is because I haven't been planning and I just see all that needs to be done and get overwhelmed and then nothing gets done. 

Organization for me in general is something I love, but am not naturally good at so hopefully these resources will help as much as I think they will. The tag line on Jen's blog is "Get Organized. Then Get it done" and I think that's just what I need to do.

How about you? are you naturally an organized person? what's helped you organize your home? I'll take any tips I can get.

1 comment:

  1. The Fly Lady has great advice on deep cleaning sinks. Followed her tips and loved the results - and the immediate gratification!
    After reading your post, I 'm motivated to tackle a drawer that's been on my mind.
    Here's to responding to God's prompts!

    ReplyDelete